Tips To Look Good In Your Jackson Hole Grand Teton Wedding Photos
So many of my Jackson Hole brides ask me how to look their best in their wedding photos. In the years I have spent photographing Jackson Hole weddings and Grand Teton weddings, I have found that the best way to look good in photos is to be yourself and have fun. Your emotion will come through on film. If you are enjoying your day and being yourself, it will show. Here are some tips to prepare you to help you be relaxed.
Start with an Engagement Session
Schedule an engagement portrait session with your wedding photographer. Consider it a practice for the wedding photos. An engagement photo session will help you and the groom relax and know what to expect. Plus, you get a chance to get to know your wedding photographer. When you have a relationship and an established a comfort level with your photographer, you tend to relax. Sometimes brides and grooms have gone years without having professional photos taken, so it is no surprise that you might be anxious. The engagement session helps you to relax and feel more comfortable in front of the camera. You can use these photos for save the date cards!
Your true love will come across in photos. Try to be yourself and focus on how much you love each other. In recent photography contests, a believable connection between the bride and groom within a pose was paramount in the wedding category. That connection is something unique to you and your love. As a husband and wife wedding team, we’re no strangers to love. But every couple has something special, something that makes their love unique. When you relax and focus on your love (instead of the camera) we can capture that connection.
Look through wedding and fashion magazines for poses. Practice your poses in front of a mirror. Use your eyes to show emotion. Practice wiggling your ears. These are the same muscles that pull your eyes back to show intensity.
Another trick to looking beautiful in images is in how you stand. For a bride, turn to the side and face towards the camera with your weight on your back leg. Bend the front knee slightly and turn your upper torso so that it is flat to the camera. This will give you an attractive “S” curve. For men, stand facing straight to the camera for a strong stance.
Get Help from Wedding Professionals
One of the best ways to look great in your wedding photos is to get help from vendors who are well-versed in how mountain weddings work.
Hire a makeup professional. Consult with your makeup artist before the wedding so you know exactly how your makeup will look. Use makeup to enhance your best features. The general rule is if you have a smoky dark eye, use a neutral lip. If you plan to have strong lips, go with neutral eyes. It goes without saying, but make sure to use waterproof mascara. Makeup artists know how to make sure your wedding day look will last all day and that it will look beautiful in photographs. It might feel like more makeup than you would wear to work, but I promise it will look beautiful in pictures!
Wedding Hair Tips
Schedule a consultation with your hairdresser before your wedding day. That consultation is the perfect time to try out a few different ideas. A wedding hair trial can help you to make sure you’re really in love with your hair ideas. Whatever style you decide on, make sure you load up on hair spray and shine spray! Mountain winds can be very unforgiving.
Hire a Wedding Planner for Your Jackson Hole Wedding
A wedding planner can take the stress of the wedding day off of your shoulders. There’s no worry about organizing vendors or gathering friends and family members. Your wedding planner can organize the schedule of the wedding day to make your day as stress-free as possible. And remember, the biggest secret to looking your best in wedding photos is to be relaxed. That’s the best part of hiring a wedding planner.
- Schedule a time with a facialist two weeks before your wedding and a follow up the day before. This will give you glowing skin.
- Remove excess facial hair with laser treatments or waxing a week before the wedding. Waxing the day before your wedding can leave redness or puffiness on sensitive skin.
- Schedule a massage, manicure and pedicure the days before your wedding. This is a fun thing to do with bridesmaids when they come in for the wedding! Grooms, consider a manicure and pedicure, too!
- Practice wearing your dress and shoes before your wedding day, so you are comfortable.
- Drink lots of water to give your skin and hair a healthy glow.
Wedding Day Tips
- Tell your family and wedding party to be completely dressed before they help you get dressed so that they look their best as they help you with your shoes, dress, jewelry and veil.
- Bring your invitation to the prep room and I will photograph it.
- Wear sunscreen.
- Use the bathroom before you put on your wedding outfit.
- Put your wedding shoes on before you put on your dress.
- Assign a bridesmaid (or planner) to keep the wedding preparation room tidy so it will look clean in photos. That way, the focus in all images will be you!
- Have a bridesmaid carry a small purse with lip gloss and powder and tissue for the after-ceremony portraits. Sometimes the groom gets a shiny face too.
Your Jackson Hole wedding day should be one of the most special days of your life. When you relax and focus on the love you have for your partner, there’s no question that every one of your wedding photos will be amazing.
Heather Erson McElwee and Drew McElwee are a husband and wife team photographing weddings and portraits since 2004, They have photographed over 500 events. Available for weddings and portraits in Jackson Hole, Grand Teton National Park, Teton Village, and available for travel around the world for destination weddings.
Let’s talk about your wedding!